Understanding the Facts About COPD Exacerbations
Anyone that LIVES with COPD understands how difficult it is to complete daily tasks. When you add potential for COPD flair-ups or COPD acute exacerbations occurring, the difficulty turns to fear and added anxiety quickly. For those that may not know, an acute exacerbation is a respiratory episode when a COPD patient’s ability to breathe in and out becomes worse than normal. It is often triggered by infections or continued exposure to poor air quality.
Exacerbations can be a serious health scare, and typically lead to an unexpected visit to your primary care physician, a pulmonologist, respiratory therapist or the emergency room. In fact, continued COPD flair-ups can increase the progression of COPD – so it’s vital to find ways of reducing COPD exacerbations whenever possible.
That’s why we created this website.
COPDHealthTips.com was created to become an online hub of information for all things related to LIVING with COPD. The team we’ve assembled includes respiratory disease patients, caregivers, Although there is no cure for COPD, and unfortunately, no way to restore lost lung function (YET), it is possible to reduce the onset of exacerbations. According to multiple respiratory professionals, the best way to treat exacerbations are:
- Recognize the early indicators or warning signs of a COPD exacerbation.
- Work with your health care provider to develop a personalized action plan to help you treat exacerbations when they occur.
- Document and Isolate the trigger factors that contribute to the onset of COPD flair-up’s.
- Be proactive about reducing these factors – so you experience fewer flair-up’s, spend less time struggling to breathe and LIVE a higher quality of life.
Throughout COPDHealthTips.com you’ll find tons of valuable information such as:
- Easy to follow and understand educational information about COPD (including Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, Pulmonary Fibrosis and IPF or Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis).
- Practical tips and advice for COPD Patients, Caregivers and Health Care Professionals that can help reduce the onset of exacerbations.
- Valuable resources for COPD Patients, including links to local COPD medical trials, contact information for personalized COPD health care coaching, information about local non-profit organizations and COPD support groups, information about COPD medication, FREE discount pharmacy discount cards, and more.
- Important resources for COPD Caregivers
- COPD Health Care Professionals resources
- Daily blogs and news about COPD
- Video library of COPD education resources
The team that manages all the content on this website is comprised of COPD caregivers and patients of chronic medical conditions that have no cure (including Asthma and Type II Diabetes), and COPD health care professionals. We receive additional content from medical device manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, health care providers, other non-profit organizations and most importantly – COPD patients and caregivers like you!
We encourage you to sign up for Our COPD Story™ blog, where you you’re your own personal online platform to share your COPD Story. Whether you’re a COPD patient, caregiver, health care professional or a fellow non-profit organization, simply click this link below to sign up for the blog and we’ll set it up for you.